Also known as banana passionfruit, the curuba is a very tart yellowish fruit with gummy orange pulp and crunchy black seeds. As part of our weekly produce experiments, Seth and I blindly purchased four of them at the market. We scoured the internet for recipes before eventually settling on a sweet treat: Sorbete de Curuba. If you happen to spot curubas at a grocery store near you, I recommend you give this dreamier-than-a-dreamsicle concoction a try!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 4 curuba
- 4 tablespoons sugar (We used 1-1/3 bar panela.)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Cut curubas in half lengthwise using a sharp knife. Remove the pulp and seeds.
- Place the pulp, seeds, sugar (or panela), and water in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Strain the juice.
- Add the milk and cream. Blend again.
- Chill until ready to drink. Enjoy!